Tuesday, September 16, 2008

when prophesies cease,

i read something the other day that was one of the best definitions of love i have seen in a long time. love: a selfless expression of good. when i hold back love, it is usually in selfishness. fears, self preservation, pride. you know, the main motivators that keep so many of us inhibited. love protects... it means protection at the cost of my pride, at the cost of lookin' good. love trusts.... letting go of preserving me. love hopes.... taking risks to let go of fear. love perseveres... keeps on keepin' on, even (especially) when it's not about me. it will not/does not look like what my mind conceives it to be (man, i am so glad of that); in fact my conception of it is completely absurd and imperfect. this one thing i know-- love never fails. the author of love tells me so.

St. Frances De Sales said, "You learn to speak by speaking, to study by studying, to run by running, to work by working; and just so, you learn to love by loving. All those who think to learn in any other way deceive themselves."

and now, to love.

No comments: