Thursday, April 10, 2008

beauty revisited

"The human soul needs actual beauty more than bread."
D.H. Lawrence

i've decided that the rest of april will be enchanting. no matter what may come, this month will be a month of seeking beauty and being enchanted by little things. i'm going to two doctors today. i'm going to look for enchantment. my hips are killing me, limiting me, taking away mobility and movement. i'm going to find a way to be stationary and enchanted.

this morning's thunderstorms delighted me as they pulled me out of bed crying, Get up! we are greening your trees! come look and see! today i decided to send in my first submission ever to a poetry contest. woah. prarie home companion is having a bed of roses love sonnet contest; the prize is a sleep number bed and 3 dozen roses. i've been sleeping on the same mattress for 22 years. i love roses. winning would be beyond enchanting. so, i'll just be enchanted by the idea of a bed of roses and the fact that i actually wrote a sonnet and submitted it.

yesterday on my pursuit of beauty i googled (who would have thought that "google" would become a verb?) dogwoods, and found a stunning, enchanting photograph taken by a conservationist and nature photographer. i took a photography class in '94 at cedar valley college; my prof hated nature photography. i, on the otherhand, will always be a fan. it takes an amazing eye to capture images in a way that amaze, take us beyond reality, enchant us.


http://www.paulzaretsky.com/

No comments: